Haydn Davies, Homage (The Original Maquette, 3/9, Morris Singer), 1994 (orig 1974)

Hayden llewellyn Davies

(1921-2008) Davies was a Canadian artist known for his large constructivist sculptures which stand outside many public buildings across Canada. Davies demonstrates an on-going dedication to examining two of the basic principles of three-dimensional art: form and space. He began studying art at Central Technical School and after graduating in 1939 served overseas in WWII in the Royal Canadian Air Force. Upon his return home, Davies continued to study painting and drawing at the Ontario College of Art in Toronto.  He then embarked on a highly successful career in advertising beginning as a copy chief, moving on to Director of Creative Services, and eventually Senior Vice President with the McCann-Erickson agency.   He began taking sculpture courses part time at the University of Toronto in 1972 and resigned his position at the advertising agency to become a full-time sculptor in 1976.

Selected Collections:
Burlington Art Centre Odette Sculpture Park, Windsor, Ontario
Bell Canada Headquarters, Toronto
Galleria Nazionale D’Arte Moderna e Contemporenea, Rome, Italy
Museo d’Arte Moderna, Venice, Italy
Musees Royaux des Beaux-Arts de Belgique, Brussels